Here's the recipe as best as I can remember it.
- Cook bacon strips in a foil-lined oven-safe tray for about 5 minutes at 400F
- Cut kielbasa into widths the size of the bacon strips.
- Holding two steak knives side-by-side, stab the center of each kielbasa chunk, rotate the chunk and stab again to punch out the center.
- Fill the hole with the string cheese.
- Fill the pot with cooking oil so that it's about 2-3in deep. Heat it to about 375F (turned out to be setting #4 on my stove).
- Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl:
- 1 cup flour
- Grated parmesan cheese (to taste)
- Creole seasoning (to taste)
- Add 1 egg and about 1 cup of milk to the mixing bowl. I eyeballed the milk so that the mixture was about the same thickness as pancake mixture.
- Wrap the cooked bacon around the cheese-stuffed kielbasa chunks. Keep the bacon in place with a toothpick and leave about 1/4in of the toothpick sticking out so you can hold on to it.
- Cover each kielbasa chunk in the batter and drop it in the hot oil.
- When the batter turns brown-ish, it's ready, take it out.
If I were to do it again, I'd try oven-frying it instead of deep-frying to get the cheese to melt better.